Translate

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Test Day...

Well, had to take the Praxis test today, and while waiting this list occurred to me(though part occurred during the test).
Things you don't want on test day:
1. Tired.  Woke up feeling like my eyelids were glued together.  I guess fatigue would work better, but I'm not that tired. Still makes it tricky to concentrate.
2. Sore.  Try writing in cursive(part of the pre test stuff that I can't quite figure out) when your arm is shaky and you have to use a pen attached to the clipboard you're also trying to hold steady(a fellow tester suggested it was to test handwriting for aspiring teachers). There were quite a few others there taking a version of the Praxis test and I heard at least two others mention the same problems even though they probably weren't as sore.  But we had chairs without tables so it wasn't fun.
3. Hungry. Had a breakfast shake this morning and it ran out right before the test started.  So my stomach kept getting more insistent(at least it didn't growl or gurgle during the test, just made me aware of it) for the whole test.
4. Anxious.  Having not taken a test like this before I was rather nervous as I wasn't sure what to expect and the practice tests were around $20 each.  So I was trying not to crumple up the 'admission ticket' paper they tell you to print out and then tell you you don't actually need but you should bring on the test day anyway and feeling my hand get sweaty while waiting.  Why they have you get there 30 minutes early for check in when you'll spend at least 20 waiting is beyond me.
I will admit that the sore and hungry actually helped, as I tend to be far too easily distracted when I'm tired and taking a test, but my attention was so caught up in the test and the other two that I was more focused than I thought I'd be. Go figure.
5. Unprepared.  Which isn't really my fault as they don't charge for the GRE practice ones but they do for the Praxis.  But it didn't help the nerves.  Talking with my fellow testers did though.
6. Needing the bathroom. Try starting the test and 10 minutes in having to need the bathroom sooooo bad.  And this test you don't get breaks(they mention the possibility but I never saw an option) and you certainly can't leave the room.  So I spent over two hours trying to ignore that as well(it also helped the attention thing, but I can't say I enjoy having that to keep me focused) and do my best on the test.  Didn't help that the room was cool, which only increased the urge.
There's probably a lot more, but these were the ones that came to mind.  Made for an interesting test experience.  I just hope I passed.  Rather not have to retake any part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment