Translate

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Rain

This is kind of a follow up to Gardens as it affects them.  While I love rain as it cleans everything up and makes the whole area smell awesome, it does do some things I want to mention regarding that.
Pros being that I don't have to worry about watering the garden I planted-save the in house seed tray I set up yesterday for when our crazy weather calms down so I can plant them outside-with the hose set up as the normal water I'd use won't be available until April 15(wow, taxes day, go figure)so we-my dad and I-had to hook up a set of hoses from the house to the pipes so we can still water them until then.  And hope the rain gives the grass enough while we're at it as it uses the same water the garden would.  Plus it keeps the birds from eating the seeds I just planted, though my sister helped with the cauliflower(teased her about trying to plant it on the onion row for some strange reason, but it shouldn't matter) and my brother helped with the second row of peas.  The other two and the onions were me while my dad spread pre-emergent weed killer(I think) on the grass to get rid of the thistles and dandelions that always grow.  Here's hoping anyway.  Another plus is that walking the dogs kind of washes them at the same time.
Cons being that whoever walks the dogs has to remember to dry them off or they could get sick(the smaller dogs at least, though our old larger dog's age might ruin her ease in drying herself off).  The rain could wash out the seeds if I didn't plant them deep enough(here's hoping) before they have roots to hold them where I put them.  Since most take 8-10 days just to start growing and most were planted within the last week, I doubt any have roots to speak of. And it makes the weeds go crazy since we can't go out there and pull them while its raining.  Plus gives them plenty of water to grow with.  There is good news in that it keeps their roots shallow as long as we get to them right after, but that means muddy shoes/boots and trying not to get stuck.  Though it can be fun(one year my dad got into a big of a mud wrestling match with a few of my siblings with how muddy it got-good thing we were clearing the garden for planting at the time, so the only things getting trampled were the weeds we wanted out anyway).  Then my dad got a few of the trellis pipes up but trying to do that(get the blackberry or raspberry bushes around them) in the rain is about the same as trying to pull or dig weeds.
Oh well, I can watch the indoor stuff, prep old socks(my dad gave me two of his, which I can get at least six strips from)to tie the bushes to the trellis with and clean.  Not like I haven't been doing that all week.  First test in my prerequisite class is coming up next week, just have one assignment left before I can get to it.  Decided that once I get going in my master's my goal is to be done by December 2018(I want 18 months but as I have student teaching to do and you can't rush that they way I can rush the online stuff) so I'll get the second degree 2 years after the first one.  We'll see how well I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment